With winter around the corner, now is a great time to consider booking a South African villa for a holiday in this part of the world. Unlike the cooler northern hemisphere, the southern hemisphere boasts winters that are mild and refreshing, with plenty of sunshine to enjoy between rainy and cooler days.
Running from June to August, winter in the southern part of Africa varies across the country, but typically offers gentle weather conditions. Snow may fall in some parts of the country, however this is usually only in higher altitudes. In areas such as Cape Town, snow can often be seen on the mountain, while the city itself is warmer. It is not uncommon to have gloriously warm beach days in the middle of July. In warmer sub-tropical destinations such as Durban, winter is warm enough to hit the beach without feeling a chill, while regions further inland are often dry and cold, in the case of cities such as Johannesburg.
Why is winter such a good time to book villas in South Africa, and what can you expect during this time of the year?
Why Hire South African Villas During Winter Holidays?
From great discounts on accommodation and flights to a variety of activities, sights and experiences, winter is a fantastic season to visit South Africa. Whether you are planning a trip to the Cape, to KwaZulu-Natal, the Eastern Cape or anywhere else in the country, here are some reasons to consider booking a villa for a memorable winter escape…
- Affordable travel season. The winter is a quieter season as far as tourism is concerned, which means that travel costs are typically lower than they would be during busy tourist seasons such as the summer months between December and March. Many restaurants add even more value to the season with the annual winter restaurant specials, which run in most cities across the country. This makes winter an affordable time to visit – great news if you are on a budget.
- Mild winter weather. Some locals like to joke that southern hemisphere winters are akin to northern hemisphere summers. While that remains to be seen, it is certainly true that winters in this part of the world are mild and enjoyable. Unlike very cold places that have heavy snow, constant rain and plenty of gloom, the weather in South Africa is always changing. Sure, it may rain some days. It may get cold and windy, too. But then the sun will suddenly start shining again, bringing warmth and brightness and the chance to head outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.
- Fewer crowds; more quiet. As we mentioned above, winter is considered low season for travel. What this means for you is fewer crowds and more peace and quiet. Less queues at various tourist attractions, easier bookings for villas and accommodation, less noise and beaches that are beautifully serene and uncluttered. Flights are also less crowded, making it easier to plan your holiday.
- Wide range of activities to enjoy. Whether you love invigorating nature walks, thrilling adventures such as shark cage diving and scuba diving or cultural activities such as theatre, music, ballet and opera, winter offers plenty to do across the country. As the weather is so often just the right balance of cool and clear, outdoor activities are excellent during this time. Bird watching and nature photography are both also ideal in winter, while safaris can be enjoyed on clear days too.
- Perfect for romance or family fun. What could be more romantic than cuddling up alongside a fireplace in your own personal villa? Or taking horse rides on a wind-swept beach? What about wine tasting and chocolate making? For family holidays, there are many experiences to enjoy both indoors and outdoors. And, with the privacy of a self-catered villa that you have to yourselves, you can enjoy all the comforts of a home-from-home along with full peace and quiet.
As you can see, this time of year offers plenty of advantages for all sorts of travel. In winter and summer; autumn and spring, hiring your very own choice of South African villas is a great way to enjoy a rewarding holiday with friends, family or even co-workers!